Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust
Position: Seasonal Employee
Hours: 40 hours/week
Duration: May – October
Compensation: $17/hour plus benefits
The Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust was founded in 1985 to conserve the remarkable diversity of the natural heritage of Brunswick, Topsham and Bowdoin. With the conservation of over 3,000 acres of natural areas, the Land Trust is actively pursuing its mission while maintaining 24 miles of trails, managing a seasonal Farmers’ Market and Community Garden, and collaborating with numerous partners in the area to further conservation and community. To learn more about BTLT, please visit www.btlt.org.
This position is part field work, part office–based work that will support the Land Trust’s stewardship and land conservation work and help to maintain, monitor, and manage the protected lands and trails of the Brunswick, Topsham, and Bowdoin region.
- Create and update management plans/baseline documents, including associated field work and mapping, for prospective land projects and recently acquired fee properties
- Read surveys and navigate boundaries to flag and install permanent markers on fee and easement properties
- Assist with property monitoring, report writing, and filing
- Manage and engage volunteers to complete trail work, property monitoring, and other stewardship tasks
- Assist with coordinating trail work, securing materials and tools
- Conduct mapping and mechanical control of invasive plants (i.e. cutting, digging, pulling) as applicable
- Work cooperatively with other seasonal staff
- Complete other stewardship tasks as needed
- Create and update baseline documents, including associated field work and mapping, for potential conserved lands projects
- Coordinate project tracking and recordkeeping of lands documents
- Assist with other lands tasks as needed
- Driver’s license and reliable personal transportation
- Ability to lift and carry heavy materials and equipment over rough ground
- Willingness to work in sometimes adverse conditions including heat, rain, biting insects, and difficult terrain
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools in the field
- Ability to work responsibly, safely, and –at times– independently
- A positive attitude and passion for land conservation
Please feel free to also let us know if you have:
- Previous experience in a stewardship or trail building position
- Experience using ArcGIS and making maps
- Experience using a chainsaw
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna
Compensation and Benefits:
This seasonal position includes competitive pay, paid vacation and sick time, the ability to work outside and from home, opportunity to engage with members of the local community, and the chance to further develop land management skills.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to: email@example.com with “Land Steward Position” as the subject by Sunday, March 21st, 2021.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected factors. We actively encourage community members with diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and ways of life to consider working with us.