August 11, 2019
8:00 pm - 11:00 pm
August 11 at 8:00pm!
Crystal Spring Farm – South
277 Pleasant Hill Road, Brunswick
(We will post to our Facebook, Instagram, and this event page with any updates for this event.)
The Southern Maine Astronomers (SMA) will lead an exploration of the night sky, including viewing the moon, Jupiter and Saturn.
How to prepare:
- When you arrive please be sure to keep your headlights on low beam, avoid pointing your headlights toward the market green if at all possible, and SHUT OFF your headlights as soon as you possibly can – the bright glare ruins night vision for those trying to look at the stars.
- Bring a blanket to lay on as meteor showers are best observed laying back with eyes wide open
- Bring bug spray!
- Bring warmer clothes to put on: a warmer jacket and a hat. Warmer, more waterproof footwear is a good idea too.
- Bring a red flashlight or headlamp, or cover a regular flashlight with red cellophane or stretch a red balloon over a flashlight, to help preserve night vision.
- “Study” this SKY MAP for learning the August night sky. Scroll down and click on “Download” for August in the Northern Hemisphere. It’s two sided.
Community members with telescopes can come as early as 7:00pm to set up. Astronomy Club members will help any who have been confounded in getting their telescopes to “work right.” Club members will bring scopes as well.
Venue: Crystal Spring Farm - South