Join us for presentation of research results from the 2023 fall field research season by Mt. Ararat High School’s Advanced Biology class. CREA partnered with Biology teachers Glenn Evans and Rebecca Norklun to pair students with mentors from the community. Each Thursday morning in September and October, students and mentors gathered at CREA’s Ecology Center before heading out to collect data on everything ranging from water quality to plant diversity on the heath.
Armed with game cameras, GPS units, snowshoes, coolers, flagging tape, guide books and a host of other equipment, they set out to wrestle with the real world challenges associated with data collection… while experiencing the appeal of work that has real world value. Join us to discover what they learned about our beloved preserve this year. You’ll be impressed by the results… and the poise of these remarkable students!
No registration required, just show up at the Topsham Public Library at 6:00pm!
Many thanks to our 2023 mentors:
- Fred Cichocki – Survey of the ecological diversity of the Heath
- David Reed – Fishless pond survey
- Shane Duigan & Kevin Doran – Forestry plot study
- Glenn Evans – Tributary study
- Adam Gravel, Katie Trebilcock & Stantec – Mammal study
- Nancy Sferra – Invasive plants
- Rebecca Norklun – Fish survey of the Cathance River
- John Berry & Susan Fenn – Migrating bird study