We are delighted to announce that the Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust Farmers’ Market at Crystal Spring Farm has been voted the “Best Farmers’ Market in Maine” in this year’s National Farmers’ Market Celebration hosted by the American Farmland Trust and the Farmers Market Coalition. While we couldn’t compete at the national level due to Maine’s small population, we know that we are one of the best farmers’ markets in the country because of the vibrant and welcoming local food community we have in our region.
Or as one young Market visitor remarked, we might be the best farmers’ market “in the whole world!”
Back in August, we had an awesome National Farmers’ Market Week celebrating our Market community. With the help of interns, volunteers, and an artistically inclined BTLT staff member, we were able to celebrate with games, face painting, and a raffle! We were thrilled with the enthusiastic response from you all with the funds raised from the raffle and the long line of excited kiddos waiting to get their faces painted.
We feel so lucky to manage a Market with such an incredible community of individuals. Some recent highlights include:
- Our favorite empanada-serving vendor, Empanada Club, was awarded a pink ribbon at MOFGA’s Common Ground Country Fair.
- This year’s Market poster artist, Portland-based printmaker Ana Inciardi, was written up in the New York Times ‘T List’ (and even name-dropped BTLT).
- Jeff Burchstead, from Buckwheat Blossom Farm, hosted a live sheep shearing demonstration at the BTLT Farmers’ Market with two of the sheep from his farm.
- Jeremy Broucek, the brilliant head chef at Bread & Friends, was recognized with the 2023 StarChefs Coastal New England Rising Stars Award.
- Earlier this fall, Norumbega Cidery hosted their second annual Big Falls Music Festival with local food, music, and, of course, cider.
- Some of our regular musicians learned that a photograph of them playing at the BTLT Farmers’ Market is the main photo on Wikipedia’s page for “bluegrass music”.
- Go En Fermented Foods will be participating in the Maine Fermentation Fair at Dandelion Spring Farm in Bowdoinham on Oct 21st & 22nd.
Want to know what else all your favorite vendors have been up to? Ask them next time you’re at the Market, or check our their websites/social media.
There are many things that make the BTLT Farmers’ Market so special – especially the fact that it takes place at Crystal Spring Farm, a beautiful example of successful mixed-use land with public-access trails, working farmland, valuable habitat for countless wildlife and plant species, a thriving Community Garden, and more, all conserved forever.
Want to support the Market? Become a member today! And visit us for the last few weeks of the season at Crystal Spring Farm, Saturdays, 8:30am-12:30am.