BTLT is seeking a Land Steward (full time/temporary).
Hours: 30-40 hours/week
Duration: July – October
This position is part field work, part office based work that will support the Land Trust’s stewardship and lands work and help to maintain, monitor, and manage the protected lands and trails of the Brunswick, Topsham, and Bowdoin region.
- Read surveys and navigate boundaries to flag and install permanent markers on fee and easement properties
- Assist with property monitoring and report writing
- Manage and engage volunteers to complete trail work, property monitoring, and other stewardship tasks
- Assist with coordinating trail work, securing materials and tools
- Conduct mapping and mechanical control of invasive plants (i.e. cutting, digging, pulling) as applicable
- Work cooperatively with other seasonal staff
- Complete other stewardship tasks as needed
- Create and update baseline documents, including associated field work and mapping, for potential conserved lands projects
- Coordinate project tracking and recordkeeping of lands documents
- Assist with other lands tasks as needed
- Driver’s license and reliable personal transportation
- Ability to lift and carry heavy materials and equipment over rough ground
- Willingness to work in sometimes adverse conditions including heat, rain, biting insects, and difficult terrain
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools in the field
- Ability to work responsibly, safely, and at times independently
- A positive attitude and passion for land conservation
- Previous experience in a stewardship or trail building position
- Experience using ArcGIS and making maps
- Experience using a chainsaw
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna
Please email a cover letter, resume, and two references to: email@example.com with “Land Steward Position” as the subject by Friday, June 26th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Download this job description by clicking HERE.
About Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust:
BTLT is an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to steward the cherished landscapes and rich natural resources of our communities, to connect people to nature by providing recreational opportunities and other engaging community activities, and to support local agriculture and fisheries, now and for generations to come.
We were founded in 1985 and have grown over the past 35 years into a robust organization that holds over 2,800 acres in conservation, provides diverse programming, and works closely with an array of community partners to enhance the environmental vibrancy and health of our region. Just some of our programs include a community garden, farmers market, educational programs with local schools, a labyrinth in the woods, and over 24 miles of trails. We have approximately 1,000 members including a vibrant business membership. We have a seven part to full time staff, a board of directors of nearly 20, and dozens of active committee members. Learn more about our mission and programs at www.btlt.org.
Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected factors.