Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust (BTLT) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening our community through conservation. We steward more than 2,500 protected acres and offer a diverse array of community programs, including 17 miles of trail, a community garden, farmers’ market, labyrinth, and dozens of events each year.
Our team is dedicated to and passionate about our mission and see working for the Land Trust as not just a job but a way to make a real difference in the world. Our programs, partnerships, and outreach efforts have grown significantly over the past few years, and we are looking for a team member to help us better share with our community the story of our work and its impact. We are looking for a creative, motivated, and multi-talented communications professional with strong skills across all digital and print/design platforms to tell our story, strengthen our brand, and build support for our mission and programs.
The Communications and Outreach Assistant will refine, implement, and coordinate all aspects of our digital and print communications and messaging. This person will work under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and in close coordination with the Outreach and Education Coordinator. It is critical that this person be able to develop familiarity with our programs, strategic initiatives, and land projects, transform that knowledge into exciting and useful messages, and then disseminate the messages to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
The successful candidate will possess the creativity, expertise, and confidence to upgrade our existing materials, as well as offer new ideas and positively implement them. The candidate should be organized, adaptable, and flexible; be able to manage multiple projects and deadlines at once; and have the ability to implement new procedures and processes. In addition, he or she should be able to assimilate the ideas of various people (board, staff, volunteers) into strategic, effective communications.
- At least two years’ experience in communications and/or marketing
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Experience with website management
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of projects concurrently
- Proficiency with Google Analytics, Microsoft Office, WordPress, MailChimp (or other email marketing program), and social media
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- A sincere commitment to the mission of BTLT
- A degree in communications, marketing, new media, or related field
- Experience working with nonprofits and conservation organizations
- IT skills
- Familiarity with developing branding principles and donor communications
- Experience with Adobe Suite, photography, graphic design, video editing, print-job management, and/or blogging
- Experience in marketing and promotion
- Experience managing volunteers
- Knowledge of project management
- Experience or interest in planning and managing events
The primary responsibility of this position is to produce and maintain all of BTLT’s print and web materials, including its website, blog content, social media, e-news, donor letters, press releases, event fliers, brochures, and newsletters. The Communications and Outreach Assistant will work with other staff, volunteers, community partners, board members, and contract designers and printers to develop communications strategies and produce and review communications materials including but not limited to annual solicitation letters, biannual newsletters, monthly e-newletters, and promotion of events and programs. He or she will keep abreast of the latest news internal and external to the organization and update content as necessary, oversee and develop press relationships, and manage media lists and contacts, and work with the Communications Working Group to establish BTLT branding and design guidelines
This is a part-time (20h/wk), year-round position that is eligible for benefits, including a flexible schedule, retirement contribution, and paid vacation, sick time, and holidays. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
DEADLINE: November 30, 2017
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com with Communications and Outreach Assistant as the subject line. In the interest of reducing waste, please do not mail a hard copy of your materials. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP. No phone calls, please. Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace.