- May 26, 2018
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Get your gardening started at the Taking Root Plant Sale
Each year the Land Trust’s Tom Settlemire Community Garden holds a plant sale to inspire your garden and keep you digging all spring.
7th Annual Taking Root Plant Sale
Saturday, May 26 from 9am-1pm
Masonic Hall, 65 Baribeau Dr, Brunswick.
There are an array of local heirloom varieties and the heartiest plants from your neighbor’s yards. In addition, you’ll have an opportunity to talk to master gardeners, who will be on hand to help you choose the best options for your garden.
Save the date and please come!
We also need your donations of plants to help make this sale successful. We accept cash, credit cards, and checks at the Plant Sale.
It’s not just about the plants you’ll find – it’s a wonderful day of celebration and seeing your community of local gardeners.
The proceeds benefit the Tom Settlemire Community Garden which includes the Common Good Garden that supports the Mid Coast Hunger Prevention Program and an array of educational gardens serving local students, adults, and at risk youth.
Volunteers and plant donations are needed:
DIRECTIONS FOR THE PLANT DONATIONS
Healthy perennials, annuals, herbs, vegetables, shrubs, vines and trees (the more unusual the better).
Please note we cannot accept plants listed as invasive or potentially invasive by the State of Maine. Click HERE for more information and a list of plants.
- 3-4 of each variety if possible
- Minimum 4” pots or plugs of 4 or 6 per container
- Hardy Perennials such as Variegated Hostas, Native Woodland plants, etc
- Annual herb & vegetable seedlings
- Annual flower seedlings
- Shrubs, small trees & vines
Plants should be dug at least 3 weeks – 10 days before 5/26
Dug plants should go into clean pots with bagged potting soil or screened compost (if you need any compost please contact Bonnie, see contact info below). Try not to use much garden soil to prevent the spread of invasive species.
- Keep plants watered and in dappled shade.
- Each pot should have a brief label with name of plant, height, color, sun or shade so label makers can make uniform ID labels
VERY IMPORTANT: Please contact Bonnie Studdiford, firstname.lastname@example.org, 798-5899 with the following information of what you will be donating:
- List of plants you will be donating
- Number of each variety you will be giving
- Final Uniform labels will be made by label makers.
- Masonic Hall at 65 Baribeau Rd
- Thursday, May 24 from 2pm to 6 pm
- Friday, May 25 from 8am to 2pm
For further information or questions about donations or delivery please contact Bonnie at the above email or number.
CALL FOR TAKING ROOT PLANT SALE VOLUNTEERS!
Volunteers are the key to the Taking Root Plant Sale success!
Please consider helping out at this fun community event.
Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks:
- Digging and potting plants during the month of May (variety of times to be announced)
- Plant Sale set up at Masonic Hall on May 23rd, 24th and 25th
- Helping at the Plant Sale on May 26th
- Cashiers, parking attendants, assisting customers with purchases and cleanup
- Volunteer shifts from 8:45 – 11:00 or 11:00 – 1:00
If you’d like to help or want more information, please email email@example.com or call Mary at (207)729-8631