- May 27, 2017
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Get your gardening started at the Taking Root Plant Sale
Each year the Land Trust’s Tom Settlemire Community Garden holds a plant sale to inspire your garden and keep you digging all spring.
6th Annual Taking Root Plant Sale
Saturday, May 27 from 9am-1pm
Masonic Hall, 65 Baribeau Dr, Brunswick.
There are an array of local heirloom varieties and the heartiest plants from your neighbor’s yards. In addition, you’ll have an opportunity to talk to master gardeners, who will be on hand to help you choose the best options for your garden.
The proceeds benefit the Tom Settlemire Community Garden, including the Common Good Garden that supports the Mid Coast Hunger Prevention Program.
Save the date and please come!
We also need your donations of plants and noted items below to help make this sale successful.
It’s not just about the plants you’ll find – it’s a wonderful day of celebration and seeing your community of local growers.
Donations and Volunteers Needed
Your donations make a difference to the success of the Tom Settlemire Community Garden.
Healthy plants (more unusual the better) and seedlings including perennials, annuals, herbs, vegetables, shrubs and trees.
Please note we cannot accept plants listed as invasive or potentially invasive by the State of Maine.
- Annual herb and vegetable seedlings or perennials, 3-4 of each variety as possible
- Variegated Hosta, Siberian Iris and unusual Day Lilies needed
- Should be dug 3 weeks to 10 days before 5/27
- Minimum 4″ pots or seedling cells
- Keep plants watered after potting
- Contact us with list/number of plants you are donating so labels can be made and inventory updated.
- You can deliver plants directly to Tom Settlemire Community Garden anytime after May 1, or to the Masonic Hall Wednesday 5/24, 9am -5 pm.
Your volunteer time is also imperative to the success of this event. We are in need of volunteers in the following areas:
- Plant caregivers. We are collecting all the donated plants at a designated area at TSCG starting 5/1/17. We need a team of reliable volunteers who can check on/maintain plants and catalog new donations each day. This is a critical need as the TSCG is often windy with no shade so plants will dry out quicker. The healthier we can keep the plants the better they will sell!
- Diggers who can go to donor’s homes to dig up perennials.
- Potters who can join us for potting days right at the TSCG. All supplies provided.
- Volunteers to distribute announcements, posters and lawn signs in days/weeks before sale.
- Volunteers to help pre-sale ‘set up’ at Masonic Hall on 5/24, 5/25, 5/26.
- ‘Floaters’ to circulate at sale on 5/27 and provide direction, transporting items to customer’s cars, traffic control, monitoring sold plant holding areas, assisting as needed.
For more information on how to get involved or volunteer contact firstname.lastname@example.org